Friday, July 22, 2011

A degree in mattering

Welcome to SeineLiving – a snapshot of efforts toward sustainable living. Granted, “sustainability” has been so misrepresented in the marketplace that I find myself in search of a new word to describe low impact living and an economy that values success and resources equally. It’s a challenge.

Four years ago, I moved for a job to a small home on 42 isolated acres.  How isolated?  Functional Internet access is limited to those who invest in personal hotspots. The nearest large retail center and airport are 45 minutes away. Thunderstorms block satellite at pivotal points in movies and games. And, speaking of weather, I rely on a landline-phone call to alert me of severe conditions and not a siren because there isn’t one.

Now you get a sense of how the remoteness has come to feel like a degree program in what matters.  The curriculum has included: planning; investing in housing, services and products that are durable and renewable; alternatives to traditional energy and communications services; local industry and food; native plants and wildlife; efficient transportation; limiting waste; the three Rs - reduce, recycle, repeat; happiness in solitude; and, building community.

That’s what I’m thinking sustainability is. Colleagues, clients, neighbors and friends are expanding that definition for me daily.

Join me as I work toward my advanced degree in “mattering” and share stories of organizations, communities and individuals who are great case studies. (P.S. There may also be the occasional DIY post.)

Suzanne
Seine Marketing Communications

No comments:

Post a Comment